1. “Maybe it will have a happy ending,” said she. “When everything’s complete and come full circle. This part ain’t so nice, but maybe somethin’ good will come of it? Remember, you have to read all the legends together to know for sure, and we don’t know them all yet. There may be a story out there to make this one happy.”- Rose Red, Veiled Rose
2. "Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”- The Hobbit
3. "Half the places I have been to, never were. I make things up. Half the things I say are there cannot be found. When I was young I told a tale of buried gold, and men from leagues around dug in the woods. I dug myself."
"I thought the tale of treasure might be true."
"You said you made it up."
"I know I did. But then I didn't know I had. I forget things, too." - The Golux, The Thirteen Clocks
4. "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at the moment."- "How to Get Things Done" by Robert Benchley (Note: I had to read this essay for school this year and quite enjoyed it It's very amusing. And that quote pretty much describes about half my life.)
5. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”- Bilbo Baggins, The Lord of the Rings
6. "But I suppose it’s often that way. The brave things in the old tales and songs, Mr. Frodo, adventures, as I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of a sport, as you might say. But that’s not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually their paths were laid that way, as you put it. But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn’t. And if they had, we shouldn’t know, because they’d have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on, and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end. You know, coming home, and finding things all right, though not quite the same; like old Mr Bilbo. But those aren’t always the best tales to hear, though they may be the best tales to get landed in!"- Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings.
7. "I don't know what it is, but it's the only one there ever was."- Hark, The Thirteen Clocks
8. “Adventures are funny things. They always begin with the unexpected, but they always end with the promise of adventures yet to come."- The Final Storm
9. "I don't believe in chosen ones. In prophecies. In destinies."
"Neither do I. On principle, I'm against them. Inconvenient, nonsensical things, and a cat does like to be master of his own fate, you know? But what I believe or don't believe has little to do with the truth of the matter."- The Chronicler and Bard Eanrin, Dragonwitch
10. "I know none of it makes sense to you! No common sense, in any case. But perhaps one day your uncommon sense will wake, and the worlds will become more bearable."- Dame Imraldera, Shadow Hand
11. “All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before."- The Last Battle
12. "I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."- Puddleglum, The Silver Chair
What are some of your favorite literary quotes? Please tell me in the comments, or feel free to make your own Random Fridays post on your blog! Thanks for reading!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)
Want to join in the Random Fridays fun? Feel free to make a post of your own on the week's topic! Please just be sure to use the Random Fridays banner, link back to Awkwordly Emma, and post the link to your post on the Awkwordly Emma blog so other participants can check out your post. For a list of future Random Friday topics, click here.