Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Beautiful People May 2016

http://paperfury.com/

Hey'a, everyone! Beautiful People is back after an April hiatus! Like back in March, there's no particular theme to these questions. I'll be answering with Josiah, from Mechanical Heart. And, because I'm experimenting with the format of these a bit, you'll get the answers in his voice- not mine.

1. How often do they smile? Would they smile at a stranger?
Josiah: I would say that I smile most of the time, unless I’m sitting in on a Senate meeting or other political event. As far as smiling at strangers goes, well, I’m a prince and a politician. I believe you can draw your own conclusions.

2. What is the cruelest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
Josiah: I suppose it was not meant cruelly, but when I was about fifteen, a gentleman- a senator and a member of the nobility- informed me in a respectfully roundabout way that my dreams of changing my country for the better were folly and that in this modern era, the royal family’s position is mostly ceremonial. In the moment, I almost wished I had been born two centuries previously so I could challenge the man to a duel without recrimination. As it is a more civilized era, I instead informed the man in a much more direct- though, I believe, still respectful- way that I intended to prove him wrong. And then I set about doing just that.

3. What is the kindest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
Josiah: The kindest thing? I can’t recall for sure. I expect it was something one of my parents said, trying to cheer me up . . . but one comment I recall best was from a friend of mine, Luis. It was not long after the incident I just mentioned, and I was feeling a bit despondent, wondering if the gentleman had been right after all. I told Luis, as he’s a fine listener as long as you don’t mind his working on some invention while he listens, and, well . . . He told me to stop being ridiculous, which might not sound kind, but was what I needed to hear. Then he said that if anyone could make a difference despite the law, I could and would- and as it was him who said it, I believed him. 

4. What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
Josiah: There are quite a few memories I could mention, but one in particular . . . My father teaching me to play chess and backgammon when I was . . . seven or eight, perhaps? It is a small thing, yes, but every Wednesday evening after that, no matter how busy he was, my father would set aside royal duties, excuse himself from any guests, and he and I would play games until my mother finally came in to say my bedtime had long since passed and I ought to go to sleep now. As I said, it is a small thing in a sense, but significant in others- I know many children were largely ignored by their parents save when necessary. And yet my father would set aside a kingdom’s worth of affairs to spend time with me. 

5. What book (a real actual published book!) do you think your character would benefit from reading?
Me: Josiah really can’t answer this question, so  . . . I’m not sure if it’d help him or drive him crazy, but I wish he could read the Queen’s Thief series, particularly the third and fourth books. 

6. Have they ever been seriously injured? How severely? How did they react?
Josiah: I’m informed that I came within an inch of death rather recently, and given what I remember shortly before the incident, I’m inclined to believe it. However, as I was unconscious for the actual event and by the time I woke up, I was mostly healed and had other things to think about, it didn’t affect me a great deal. Later on, once I had a moment to myself, I tried to wrap my mind about the fact that I nearly died and found I couldn’t manage it.

7. Do they like and get along with their neighbors?
Josiah: I don’t have neighbors in the standard sense, but regarding the people who I interact with most often outside my family: I either like or respect a fair number of them, and do my best to tolerate even those I dislike- as my position requires me to do. 

8. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 being difficult) how easy are they to get along with?
Me: Another question I’m answering for Josiah, as I can probably rate this better than he can. Josiah is about a 3 or 4 (when you look at the scale the right way, rather than 1 being impossible to get along with and 10 being everyone-loves-him). He genuinely likes and cares about most people, whoever they happen to be and takes an interest in their lives. But he’s very passionate about politics and the changes he wants to make in the country, often to the point of distraction, which can be a bit trying for those close to him. 

9. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
Josiah: I can and have visited most of the countries of the known world at some point in my life. By now, I’d much rather stay home.

10. Who was the last person they held hands with?
Josiah: I fail to see how this is something you need to know.
Me: Just answer the question.
Josiah: Well, I suppose it won’t hurt . . . the last person whose hand I held was Miss Breen, but I did so very briefly.

What do you think of Josiah now? Have any other questions you'd like to ask him? If so, just leave them in the comments.
Thanks for reading!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)  

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, more about Mechanical Heart!

    It's nice to get to know Josiah a bit, and I'm eager to hear more of his role in the story.

    P.s - although he was only briefly mentioned, I already like this Luis character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      (And good- Luis existed long before Mechanical Heart did, and I'm quite fond of him myself. I only regret that he didn't have as big a role in the story as I originally planned . . .)

      Delete
  2. Yay! More about Mechanical heart!

    I agree with Blue, it was nice to get to know Josiah. He sounds like a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this was fun! Josiah seems very proper and put together. ;) I kind of giggled at the last question. DOES SOMEONE HAVE A SECRET CRUSH?? ;D
    Thanks for joining in, Sarah! This was super fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is that. And maaaaaayyyyyybeeeee . . . yes. :D
      I'm glad you enjoyed it; thank for for putting this together month after month!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.