Thursday, September 22, 2016

Quotes Challenge Day 3

Hello, everyone! Today is the final day of the Quotes Challenge- and, coincidentally, it's also September 22, Bilbo Baggins' birthday. Anyone want to guess which author I'm quoting today? Yep, J.R.R. Tolkien, through Bilbo, who else? And, because I'm turning this into a mini-celebration of LOTR, you don't just get one quote . . . you get three.

“Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on,
Under cloud and under star.
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen,
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green,
And trees and hills they long have known.”
 -Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit
“It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why.”
- Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” 
-Faramir, The Lord of the Rings
 And my final three nominations are: Katie Grace, Ryebrynn, and (although she seems to have halfway disappeared) Ghost Ryter. To the nominees: as usual, you are free to do this or not do this as you please. If you do it, I look forward to seeing your quotes.

Noro go hul, bado go Eru, and hannon le for stopping by!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)

10 comments:

  1. LOVE this! (and who wouldn't - it's LotR quotes!) Sam's speech gets me every time :D.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? I almost didn't include it because everyone posts it so much, but ended up deciding it's too amazing not to include.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I asked for one quote from your golden hoard. You gave me three.

    Hrm...That's the second time I've tried using that reference, and still it doesn't come out quite right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it came out just great! Good reference. :D

      Delete
    2. I am quite lost on what the reference is to, and I feel like I should know- can you enlighten me, perhaps?

      Thank you for commenting, though!

      Delete
    3. Sure, I don't think it's one of the well-known ones.It's a quote from Gimli. After he asked Galadriel for one hair, and received three.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
    4. I think it was a good reference :D. *highfive*

      ~ Savannah
      scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

      Delete
    5. @Blue: Ohhhhhh! Now I get it! I obviously need to reread the whole of LOTR- my stock of quotes isn't as good as it was a few years ago. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing the tag, Sarah! Great quotes, all. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for tagging me! I'm glad you liked the quotes I picked!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.