Friday, November 25, 2016

Thankfulness: Bookish Edition (Plus a Black Friday Sale)


Thanksgiving is over, and Christmas season is upon us! If all goes according to plan, I'll be helping my family put up the Christmas tree today, and I'll definitely start listening to Christmas music (including catching up on all the songs Peter Hollens keeps releasing and I can't listen to because it's not time yet, storm it!). But that's no reason to stop thinking about what I'm thankful for- and one thing that I didn't manage to mention on yesterday's list was books. Obviously, I need to remedy that today with a list of five books that I'm thankful for this year!

Books I'm Thankful For

  1. Stars Above by Marissa Meyer. Mostly for the last story, since it acted as epilogue to the series and gave me a proper Happily Ever After to enjoy. Not that I didn't like the end of Winter, but I wanted a wedding- and I got one!
  2. A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. Because I'm always grateful for new Goldstone Wood, even if it's not in the main series, and this particular book was delightfully dark and gorgeous and eerie and amazing. 
  3. The Odyssey by Homer, which was an excellent start to my Western Lit class at college, besides being an amazing story in its own right. Seriously, go find a copy of the Robert Fitzgerald translation and give it a try, if you haven't already. Yes, it's epic poetry, and yes, it can be hard to get through at times, but honestly, it's worth it. And as epic poetry goes, it's pretty easy to read.
  4. The Cat's Eye Chronicles by T. L. Sheffler. I'm not going to claim these are amazing, but they are pretty good, especially once you get further along in the series. My roommate insisted that I read this series, since it's one of her favorites, and I've really enjoyed both the books themselves and chatting with her about what we each think about them.
  5. Wingfeather Tales by Andrew Peterson and Company. Admittedly, I haven't actually read this one yet . . . but I'm very thankful that I get to read it, and very excited to find out what tales are within! (I'm hoping for something more about the Florid Sword and Shadowblade, personally . . . but we'll see what happens.)
One other thing I'm thankful for: books on sale! And, like last year, a group of independent Christian authors have banded together to offer over seventy discounted books on Nov 25-28.

Smiley

There's literally something for everyone. Every single book listed on Indie Christian Books is on sale in one or more ways. Find discounted paperbacks, dozens of books offered with free shipping, $0.99 ebooks, package deals and more. Even if you have a budget of $0, new reading material awaits you. Don't know what to pick? The fearless Indie Christian Books team created a quiz that will generate a book list perfect for you! Check it out!  

What awesome reads of 2016 are you grateful for? Please tell me in the comments!
Thanks for stopping by!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)
A note on the Ebooks Only page. All books are listed as "Sold Out." This only refers to paperback copies of these titles. Please click onto the product pages to find descriptions and links to discounted or free ebooks. Also, some of the authors this year chose to not sell their paperbacks directly through the site. Those books are also marked "Sold Out" but if you click them open, you'll find a link to the site where they are on sale and a discount code for you to use at check out.
Acknowledgements: Thanks to Leah E. Good and Kendra E. Ardnek for their work organizing this sale, and Hannah Mills for her fantastic design work on the website graphics. Hannah can be contacted at hmills(at)omorecollege(dot)edu for more information about her design services.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.