Friday, March 15, 2019

Let's Talk About Pie.

So, in case you didn't notice, yesterday was Pi Day. And while I may not be a STEM major, I still enjoy the holiday because it's an excuse to eat pie, which happens to be one of my favorite food types in the world. A well-made pie is on level with a well-made cake . . . and a poorly-made pie is far superior to a poorly-made cake, at least if you ask me. Pie also happens to bear the distinction of being both a dinner food and a dessert food, so you really can't go wrong.

Now, my college, despite being heavily focused on STEM (especially engineering), failed to serve any sort of pie yesterday, which made celebrating very difficult. Technically I could've bought a slice of Reese's peanut butter pie at the Hive, but I forgot that existed until my roommate reminded me long after dinnertime ended. So, in a last-ditch effort to mark the day somehow, I'm writing my weekly post about my favorite types of pie. I mean, I'm writing it on Thursday anyway, so it counts, right?

Let's Talk About Pie.

Let's Talk About Pie.

Pecan pie slice
  1. Pecan pie. This is, hands-down, the best type of pie, at least when it's made right. Yes, it's very sweet, and yes, it is pretty much made of sugar and pecans, but I'd say those are benefits, not bugs. Of course, part of why I like it so much is that I don't get it super often, so when I do, it's like a special treat.
    Chicken pot pie (whole, in dish)
  2. Homemade chicken pot pie. And by that I mean the sort that's actually in a pie crust, not the sort with biscuits on top — I mean, I love the type with biscuits on top, but that's technically a chicken pot cobbler, not a chicken pot pie. It's basically one of the ultimate comfort foods in my book: warm and savory and filling, with the deliciousness of a good homemade pie crust to complement the chicken and veggies . . . yeah. It makes me happy.
    lattice-topped apple pie
  3. Apple pie. Otherwise known as the number one dessert pie that everyone in my family can agree on. But really, you can't go wrong with a good apple pie. I prefer it hot with ice cream, but I'm not opposed to the idea of putting cheese on top — it's like a cinnamony dessert version of a grilled cheese-and-apple sandwich, and we all know how delicious those are.
    Slice of grasshopper pie
  4. Grasshopper pie. For the uninitiated: grasshopper pie is a fluffy mint pie with chocolate chips and oreo pieces in it. Usually, it has a chocolate crumb crust, though sometimes you'll get a graham cracker crust instead. Like most things that involve mint and chocolate, it's delicious — though it's also often so light that you're strongly tempted to eat a second piece. Then again, I'm almost always tempted to eat a second piece of the pie.
  5. Spaghetti pie. Tell me: is this a common thing in anyone else's house? (Not that it's a common thing in my house anymore, but it used to be.) A "crust" of spaghetti and cheese, topped with tomato sauce, ground beef, and more cheese, it's almost like a pie version of lasagna, just with different noodles. (Also, I just had a vague, half-formed idea for a version using eggplant instead of beef that seems really good in theory? I'm going to have to think about it more.) Anyway. It's delicious and I love it. (Also, my family had it for Pi Day, and I'm really sad that I missed it.)
What are your favorite types of pie? Do you celebrate Pi Day? Please tell me in the comments!
Thanks for reading!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)

6 comments:

  1. Favorite pie: peach, usually, but it has to be homemade because store-bought ones are too syrupy. I had my Great Pie Weekend last weekend, in which I visited several pie shops here in NYC (and there's still more to try). I love a good homemade apple pie, too. And this French silk chocolate pie my friend's grandmother makes. And sour cream and blueberry from the pie shop in Richmond.

    I really love pie, if you couldn't tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peach is a solid choice. Especially if it's peach-blueberry. Having a Great Pie Weekend sounds wonderful; I should do one of those.

      It's a good thing to love. :)

      Delete
    2. Ugh, yes, I've made a mean peach-blueberry pie before. With a lattice crust. It was my pride and joy, lol.

      Delete
    3. OOooh, nice. I feel like you posted about that one on your blog at once point.

      Delete
  2. I'm ashamed that I never made (and ate) a pie for Pi Day! Chicken pot pie and grasshopper pie are both delicious, although I haven't had the latter in ages. Spaghetti pie is a new one for me, though, and I'm not too keen on apple pie.
    I think it's about time I take those lemons, and make a lemon meringue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, you can start next year! Then you can also rectify your lack of chicken pot pie and grasshopper pie!
      I don't think I've ever had lemon meringue pie. That said, I'm not really a fan of lemons, so that might explain it. XD

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.