Friday, February 23, 2024

On the Taleweaver's Desk Issue 11: February 2024

Hello, all! Welcome to the first Taleweaver's Desk update of 2024! To conclude the scheduling saga of the last few of these posts: I think I'm going to stick with doing these quarterly for now, as I do have some new developments to report, but a three-times-per-year schedule isn't entirely off the table yet. I also have a question for y'all: frequently, the "Shelved for Now" and "Stacked on the Side" sections don't actually have any changes from quarter to quarter. (This "Stacked on the Side" section does, but it's an exception.) Do you like that I include these for context and record-keeping purposes even when there's not really any major changes? Or would you prefer that I just include the sections where there's an update? Please tell me in the comments after you finish reading. And on that note, let's get on with the update.

On the Taleweaver's Desk Issue 11: February 2024

On the Desktop

These are the projects you might find open on my laptop or desk if you took a peek at it during a normal day. They're currently in progress and at the top of the priority chart.

Daughters of Atirse #2

What is it? A Goose Girl/Puss in Boots retelling, the second book in the Daughters of Atirse series, and the prequel to Song of the Selkies.

Status: About 50k words into the first draft.

I'm a little behind where I'd like to be on drafting this, as I wasn't able to start until the beginning of January and my writing speed in the last couple weeks has been . . . not what I'd like it to be. That said, I am really enjoying spending time with these characters and their story and their slowly-unraveling secrets. Onora is proving herself to be an enjoyable-to-write (if very stubborn) main character, and the second-most significant character is her cat, who is delightful. I love him very much. (On a side note, I just realized that, since Gilded in Ice, I have been alternating between significant-cat books and no-cat books, which is . . . interesting? We'll see if the pattern holds.) Another aspect of this book that I'm really enjoying is the faith element. I've said that Song of the Selkies was my most Christian story, but Onora's story is a step even further than that, with Onora's faith forming a major part of her character arc. (I say this not in the sense that it's a salvation story, for the record, but in the sense that she spends a certain amount of time wrestling with a particular aspect of her faith, and only when she resolves that wrestling can she start to really solve other problems.)

D&D Campaign: Defenders of Serys

What is it? Defenders of Serys is the homebrew D&D campaign that I run for my D&D group.

Status: Working on the next adventure . . . slowly.

I am running out of time to write the next adventure, but like a fool, I decided to do something complicated and then prioritized it under pretty much every other writing project. I know what I want to do; I just have to figure out how to make it work. I've made progress, though! I probably have a session's worth of material, if push comes to shove, and once I finish the next step in the writing process, I'll actually have a lot of the hard part done. I just have to, y'know, finish that next step.

Stacked on the Side

These are the stories that I'm not actively working on (at least not officially), but I'm keeping close at hand because I plan to get back to them soon (or I just work on them sporadically as the urge takes me).

Bastian Dennel, PI #5

What is it? Originally Book 4 in my Bastian Dennel, PI series, now book 5. Bastian takes on a murder mystery involving far too many Families.

Status: Drafted; in need of a rewrite. I need to write the new Book 4 before I dive back into this, unless I decide to do something weird, but it's still pretty high on the priority list. I'm looking at a 2025 release, if all goes well.

Blood in the Earth

What is it? Blood in the Earth is the sequel to Blood in the Snow and a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses crossed with the myth of Hades and Persephone.

Status: First draft finished; awaiting rewrites. I still love this story, but I don't know when I'll get back to it.

Once Upon a Dream

What is it? A light steampunk (or gaslamp fantasy?) Sleeping Beauty retelling; the predecessor to The Midnight Show

Status: Edited several times over. Awaiting another round of rewrites/expansion/edits (and a useful excuse/motivation for prioritizing those edits).

Shelved for Now

These are stories that are also on hold, but which I don't have specific plans to work on very soon. They're still within easy reach should I decide to return to them, but they aren't a top priority.

There are no significant changes to any of these projects since my last update, but I'll leave the list here for anyone who hasn't seen it before!

Dust of Silver

What is it? Classic-ish fantasy retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses crossed with Rapunzel, the first book in what has the potential to be a rather long series. Also, a rewrite of a book I wrote years ago that won't let go of me because CHARACTERS.

Status: Several chapters into the rewrite, though those several chapters haven't been touched in a few years.

Between Two Worlds

What is it? A portal fantasy adventure about what happens when you come home from the adventure, only to discover that the adventure isn't quite as done with you as you thought.

Status: Awaiting another round of edits/rewrites while I write other things and daydream about its sequels. May get bumped further up the priority list depending on certain other factors, but probably not for a while yet.

The Way of the Pen

What is it? Self-aware fantasy adventure about a girl and her author.

Status: The first draft is sitting on my shelf, patiently waiting for its turn back in the spotlight, as it has been for some time. Of everything in this section, this is the most likely book to move up to Stacked on the Side or On the Desktop, as I occasionally have wild thoughts of editing it and shopping it 'round to traditional publishers. However, that actually happening in the next couple years is improbable, due to Atirse and Bastian Dennel taking priority.

Berstru Tales series

What is it? A classic epic fantasy series and the longest-running series I've worked on (either in the number of books written or in how long I've worked on it.

Status: Needs to be rewritten from the ground up, but the bones are good. There's a particular character who's getting a whole new arc, and I'm really excited to write it . . . when I have time.

Awaiting Delivery

These are the stories that are on their way, but haven't quite arrived yet to the point where I can write them: ideas I'm toying with but haven't even started to draft because they're still too nebulous.

Additional Bastian Dennel, PI novels

What is it? Exactly what the heading said. Book 4 will be Jack and the Beanstalk (yes, I'm serious); other stories planned include The Little Mermaid, The Goose Girl, The Nutcracker, and Pwyll & Rhiannon.

Status: I continue to poke at series order, trying to produce something where there's not a huge gap between books but also I don't have too many stories too close together and I can write the stories I'm most excited about sooner.

Future Daughters of Atirse books

What is it? What the headline said, again. Multiple other stories connected with Song of the Selkies. Specifically, I have plans for some variation on Beauty and the Beast (sequel), Tam Lin (prequel), and Pwyll & Rhiannon (sequel), as well as a prequel and at least one other sequel that don't have specific fairy tales but will be written because I want to tell their main characters' stories.

Status: Lots of plans, and I only write so fast, but I spend enough time brainstorming these with a friend that I should have them pretty well planned out by the time I actually get to start drafting.

Novellas from the world of Blood in the Snow

What are they? Currently, three ideas for spinoffs, most of which are also fairy tale retellings: one Puss in Boots (no, really), one Orpheus and Eurydice (probably crossed with a similar Japanese myth, Izanagi and Izanami), and one that's not currently a fairy tale retelling but would be about Gan and Azuma before they were animal-keepers at the emperor's palace (inspired the summer I spent watching a lot of Hogan's Heroes).

Status: Won't be written until after I edit Blood in the Earth.

Unnamed Fantasy Murder Mystery

What is it? Exactly what the headline says. A prominent noble is murdered; his adoptive daughter is poised to inherit his lands and position — but some are saying her hand was behind his death.

Status: Still just an idea, but it's an idea with a really good soundtrack. Still not going to be tackled until after Blood in the Earth. May end up being set in the same world as Daughters of Atirse, though not in the same series and later in the world's timeline.

Miscellaneous Short Stories

What is it? A potential story for H.L. Burke's DOSA Files anthology and a few other ideas that are ping-ponging around in my head.

Status: The DOSA Files story needs to get written in the next month and a half or so. (Technically, I have until the end of April, but I don't want to wait until the very last minute, since I'd like to run the story through beta readers.) I have a couple weeks off from grad school in mid-March, so I may try to fit it in then; otherwise, I'll jump into it at the start of April. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to write some other short stories that I've had in my head for a while so I can maybe do an anthology of my own sometime, but we'll see how that goes.

What projects (writing or otherwise) are you working on currently, and how are they going for you? Tell me in the comments!
Thanks for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.