Friday, March 29, 2024

March 2024 Doings!

Hello, everyone! It's Good Friday, and March is almost over, and that means it's time for Doings! March has been better than I expected in some respects and worse in others, but on the whole, it's been a decent month filled with some very good stories. I'm excited to tell you about it, so let's get going!

Writing!

  • In some respects, on paper, March looks like another not-great writing month. I didn't finish drafting my DOSA Files story (I barely started it), I didn't finish my next D&D adventure or the travel interlude I added at the last minute, I didn't get a full 40K words on Daughters of Atirse #2, and I definitely didn't finish Atirse #2.
  • That said, I feel like March was still an improvement over February. I may not have hit 40K on Daughters of Atirse, but I got close — 33K, probably rising to 36K over the weekend, which is nothing to sneeze at, especially as I was working through a troublesome section of the plot. I'm also pretty happy with the quality of most of what I wrote, and I think it's reasonable to expect that I can finish the draft next month. I also commissioned character art of two of the main characters, and I cannot wait for when I get to share it. It's so pretty, I can't even. It's by the lovely Scarvenartist, who's also done art for Gillian Bronte Adams, and I cannot recommend her highly enough.
  • Additionally, even if I didn't finish either D&D project, I made progress on both, and the travel interlude is pretty close to finished. And I'm back to having time to get the original adventure sorted out, as the party chose to travel via the route most likely to involve Problems. I will note that they were warned that they were going the dangerous route; they just decided to do it anyway.
  • I am a little upset with myself for not working more on the DOSA Files story, but it's ok. I needed to prioritize other things, and that's how it is sometimes.
  • Overall, though, I'm happy with how my writing went this month. I'm also pleased that I didn't really have to resort to the plan I mentioned in my February 2024 Doings, taking extra time to rest before I start writing. Between the warmer weather and the fact that work was less stressful than I expected, I generally wasn't as tired in the evenings — and I had another factor giving me some extra motivation to focus, but I'll talk about that in a later section.
  • Also, on a more definitely-successful note, I did have an author event this month that I think went well! On March 2, I joined Heather Halverstadt and Realm Writers Mid-Atlantic at a nearby craft fair, with all my books in tow. While the event was tiring (even though I didn't stay the whole time), I got to have some really good conversations there, and I sold some books, so that's also lovely. (Side note: if you found me at that craft fair and you're reading this now, hello! Welcome! So glad to have you! Please say hi in the comments!) Plus, my family went out to a new location of our favorite Mexican restaurant afterward — that's not really writing-related, but it was in the same event, so it totally counts for this section.
  • Oh, and I found out that Song of the Selkies and "Grim Guardian" both made the Realm Awards long list, so that's exciting! We're still waiting to find out if either will make the finalists as well . . .

Reading!

  • The books I read at the start of this month feel so far away in relation to now. It's weird. Anyway —
  • Let's start with the new-to-me reads, which include one just-for-fun read, one class read, and three ARCs (one of which isn't pictured). Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries popped up on everyone's 2023 best-of lists, so I knew I had to get my hands on it, and having read it, I agree with everyone's assessment. This was an excellent book; I did have a little trouble getting into it, but once Bambleby showed up, I was properly hooked. We have fae, academia, adventures, Howl-and-Sophie vibes . . . it's great. If you enjoy Suzannah Rowntree's Miss Sharp and Miss Dark books, this will probably be right up your alley.
  • As for the ARCS: I already reviewed Water Horse, so I recommend you go read my thoughts instead of me repeating myself. Nobody's Hero was a fun, fast-paced superhero adventure in the same vein as H.L. Burke's Supervillain Rehabilitation Project series; I'm not obsessing over it, but I liked the characters, the world, and the storyline, and I'll probably read the next book. Finally, not pictured is Dark & Dawn, book 4 of the Miss Dark's Apparitions series, which I'm currently reading but will almost certainly finish over the weekend. As of writing, I'm about halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it — the character dynamics are impeccable as ever, and I am extremely eager to see where this job goes for Molly and the rest of the group.
  • The class-required-read was How I Know God Answers Prayer, a memoir by 19th-century missionary Rosalind Goforth in which she recounts various occasions in which God answered or didn't answer her prayers in notable ways. I didn't love it, but I liked it more than I expected to, and it's arguably been the best thing I got out of the class so far, so . . . there's that.
  • We also have two miscellaneous rereads. Towards the end of February, Prydain Chronicles-related stuff kept popping up in my internet circles, and I got an itch to reread the series. I only managed The Book of Three before other books (that either had closer due dates or review-required dates) took precedence, but revisiting that one was fun, and I plan to finish the series in April. And DragonFire, which I read for the book club/readalong some of my friends and I have been doing, was naturally enjoyable. It's not my favorite in the series, but I do appreciate it more every time I read it.
  • Finally, we have several email-subscription books. I finished Fellowship of the Ring towards the beginning of the month, as I was running behind reading the daily entries. The subscription went down after that, so I will not be continuing the reread at this time. I already have enough other email subscription stories to read! For example: A Study in Scarlet, courtesy of the Letters from Watson Substack, which I started in January and finished midway through this month. I didn't much like A Study in Scarlet when I first read it, as I preferred the short stories, but I enjoyed it more this time around. And I finally finished reading Dante's Divine Comedy, which started on Good Friday of 2023. I confess that I've been skimming the cantos more than actually reading them for a while now, but . . . at least I can say I've read it!
  • On the topic of email-subscription books, I've been very much enjoying the Letters Regarding Jeeves Substack, though I'm not very good at keeping on top of it. I've never read the Jeeves and Wooster stories before, and this seems to be an excellent way to do it. The small doses mean I can appreciate the humor without getting caught up in secondhand embarrassment, and the stories themselves are pretty clever.

 Watching & Playing!

  • This section is heavy on the "playing" and light on the "watching" this month, so I'm glad I expanded it! Somewhat unsurprisingly, I've watched pretty much nothing this month — no movies, no streaming shows, and (somewhat more surprisingly), hardly any YouTube.
  • I have, however, enjoyed a lot of podcasts! (Or, a lot for me, anyway.) I finished the second season of Wolf 359 (very good! much exciting stuff going on!) and then took a couple weeks' breather because dear goodness the last several episodes were intense. Also, I needed to catch up on Dear Hank & John before I got ridiculously behind, and I wanted to work through more of my test episodes from the long list of recommendations I solicited back in January.
  • That list, for the record, is still very long, but I'm slowly getting through it and getting a better feel for what kinds of podcasts I actually like and what I don't vibe with. And I do have everything on that list actually written down in a note instead of just held in my Google Podcasts queue, so I won't lose it all when I inevitably have to switch apps!
  • On a that note, Google is apparently discontinuing their podcast app and forcing a switch to listening to podcasts via YouTube Music . . . but I don't like the YouTube Music podcast interface, so I'm looking for a new app. If anyone has recommendations of what they use, please share!
  • I've also been doing a lot of gaming this month, specifically playing Honkai Star Rail, a space-fantasy action RPG recommended to me by a friend. I'm not very far in — only partway through the second main quest — but I'm really enjoying it! The storyline is fun, the artwork is gorgeous, and there are a lot of cool characters to meet and get to know. I did have trouble figuring out some of the mechanics at first (especially because this is my first time playing this kind of game), but I was able to pick up the essentials without too much trouble, and the friend who recommended it helped me figure out some of the other stuff I was confused about.
  • Also, weirdly enough, I think the fact that I'm gaming more has helped my writing productivity? I don't play unless I'm satisfied that I have everything else done that I need to do that day, and having something that I'm looking forward to doing after I write gives me extra motivation to not get distracted. And that extra motivation and focus mean that my writing flows better, which in turn means that I'm more likely to pass my wordcount goal because I'm really into what I'm writing or because, when I reach my goal for the day, I'm a hundred-odd words away from some very satisfying manuscript wordcount and I might as well just push a little further and get there. I don't know how long this will continue to work, but as long as it does, I'm happy!

Life!

 


  • March was a bit less stressful than I expected in some ways and a bit more stressful than expected on others.
  • Work was actually a lot more chill than I thought it would be. Usually, Lent and Easter make up one of our busiest seasons, and I expected the fact that this year would be worse than usual because there was so little time between the end of Christmas and the start of Lent. However, one of the projects I thought would take up a lot of time (new devotionals for Stations of the Cross) instead got cancelled, so all I had to do was update the devotionals we had. That still took time, but not nearly as much. I also managed to work ahead on a lot of the graphics, which lowered the overall pressure even further. And while I did spend most of this past week racing to front-load as many tasks as possible, just in case I ended up sick by Wednesday, I remained healthy aside from allergies (praise God!) and ended up with a really light Thursday as a result. So, I'm definitely thanking God for all of that.
  • Grad school, on the other hand, was much less chill. My technical writing class ended well; though the final assignment took more time to put together than I thought it would, the end result turned out really well. The new editing and publishing class, on the other hand, has been . . . frustrating. I don't agree with the professors' positions on certain types of writing (because I feel like they're promoting a particularly unhelpful misconception), and the first big assignment of the class (due this weekend) has been . . . problematic. I wanted to work ahead on it so that I would have it ready to turn in this past Tuesday or Wednesday and I wouldn't have to worry about it on Easter weekend, but instead I had three false starts before I figured out how to write it in a way that didn't make me kind of hate everything. Part of the problem is that the assignment is essentially a personal essay about my faith development, which sounds like it should be easy . . . but I don't actually like writing about myself that much outside of blogging. I almost always feel like I'm being overdramatic, and the angle I initially tried to use for the assignment was particularly vulnerable to that concern. Thankfully, I think I've figured out how to get around the problem, which is to write the thing mostly about books and fantasy media and bring myself in slant-wise. Basically, though, the whole class just seems calculated to hit on all my greatest frustrations while taunting me with how much I'd like to just be able to say "I have published seven books, and I did all the editing, layout, and such myself; also this is literally 70% of my day job; do I really need to be here?"
  • Still, it's better than grant writing!
  • I want a more cheerful subject, so let's talk about food. My Baking Yesteryear recipe for March was Cowboy Cookies, basically oatmeal cookies with coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips mixed in. They were very tasty, and I definitely think I'll make them again, though next time I might toast the coconut longer and substitute butterscotch chips for half of the chocolate. And March 14 is, of course, Pi Day, and I celebrated with pie or pie-adjacent foods at every meal: quiche at breakfast, store-bought apple pie at lunch, and homemade spaghetti pie and pecan pie at dinner. It was, as you can probably tell, a very good day.
  • D&D has also been going well. In my long-running group, we fought an ancient dracolich in our most recent session, which was really cool but also terrifying because, you know, ancient undead black dragon. And half our party can't even hit it properly because we're primarily melee fighters and the dragon has both wings and an annoying habit of hanging out in the shadows, out of reach of our lights. We did beat it, though, after a magnificent Touch of Death from our cleric and a fourth-level Divine Smite from me (the one hit of mine that I remember actually landing during the entire fight). We're getting steadily closer and closer to the end of the campaign, and it's exciting, though also really weird to think about — we've been playing this for five or six years now. We do have plans for another campaign after this, though, so our group hopefully isn't going to break up anytime soon.
  • The 4e campaign I just joined had its second session this month, which was mostly taken up by combat. Adapting to 4e's style of combat was a little bit of a challenge for me, but thankfully, one thing carries over from 5e: the rogue's best tactic is to hide, shoot, and hide again! And rogues are shaping up to be just as fun to play as I thought they would be.
  • On the topic of D&D, I had my first actual run-in with someone who genuinely believed D&D is a gateway to the occult, so that was interesting (and kind of feels like an . . . achievement? milestone?). The person in question is a newcomer to our Bible study who overheard me mention to someone else that I play D&D on the weekends and stepped in to voice her concerns. I'd been internally preparing for a version of that conversation for a bit (because I knew she had a similar objection to Harry Potter), but I was still pretty nervous — I really did not want the center of dissent in the Bible study, even if I was pretty confident that most people would back me up if things got ugly.  Thankfully, the person making the comments was speaking from a place of genuine concern, not judgement, and it turned out that she doesn't really know a lot about D&D, so once I explained to her what D&D and fantasy in general were for me and my faith, we were able to reach an amicable conclusion. And the conversation did later inspire my idea for what to do about my current grad school assignment, so I guess I have to thank her for that, ha!
  • We'll wrap up with Easter, though it hasn't quite happened yet as of writing. We won't be celebrating with our Bible study like we normally do, due to people being out of town, but we still have plans I'm looking forward to, namely attending our church's Saturday service and inviting a few friends over for Easter lunch. I'm making a coconut cake; it's going to be great.

April Plans

  • As I said already, I think I can reasonably finish Daughters of Atirse #2 (which is so close to having an actual title, by the way) by the end of April, so I'm aiming to do just that — or, at least, to get within a few chapters of finishing. As such, I'm putting my loose wordcount goal at 40,000 words again, and we'll see if that works out. April is going to be another Realm-Makers-equivalent-to-NaNoWriMo month, so that should help give me the boost I need! There's nothing like a daily check-in and word sprinting buddies to help keep you on track.
  • I also need to properly draft, edit, and submit my DOSA Files story, which I haven't given up on yet. While there's not much on paper at the moment, I've been letting it mature in the back of my mind, and I think I worked out one of my last major plot problems. And it's only 10,000 words, max, so writing it shouldn't take that long.
  • I'm hoping that the current grad school class will become less frustrating as time goes on. I'm hoping that this past week is about as bad as it's going to get. If it is, the rest of the class will be annoying, but bearable. If it goes downhill from here . . . well, we'll see what happens. Work, at least, should be chill — the period right after something like Easter or Christmas almost always is.
  • On the reading front, I have a couple more ARCs that I'm looking forward to, and I also hope to get back to my Prydain reread. And if I have a free weekend sometime, I have high hopes of going through my bookshelves to reorganize, weed out the books I know I'm not going to read or reread, and make space for new stories. (This is something I've been planning to do for a while now . . . but it's spring now, so hopefully that will make a difference.)
  • Outside of all those things, I'm looking forward to more gaming, more D&D, and continuing to work on assorted small craft projects until I can psych myself up for another big thing.

How was your March? Any plans for April? How do you listen to podcasts? What are your Easter plans (or how did you celebrate, if you're reading this the week after Easter)? Please tell me in the comments!
Thanks for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.