Friday, May 3, 2024

April 2024 Doings!

Hello, all! May is here, summer is in sight, and let me tell you; both of those things are such a relief. April was another stressful month, unfortunately, though it did also include some really good days and a fun adventure or two. Most of that stress was, unsurprisingly, caused by grad school and having a lot of tasks that all needed to be done at once across multiple areas — including writing, so let's start there and recap what happened.

Writing!

  • April was the second RealmieWriMo event in the RealmSphere, the social media site specifically for people connected to the Realm Makers writing conference. It was also the deadline month for H.L. Burke's DOSA Files anthology. As such, I had high hopes for what I wanted to accomplish: drafting a story to submit for the DOSA Files and writing 40,000 words to finish Daughters of Atirse #2. Unfortunately, I may have been a bit . . . overambitious.
  • Let's start with the undeniable win: I did write and submit my DOSA Files story, "Save {Point}", drafting half of it in a marathon of writing on April 19, then doing a very rapid first edit and sending it off to beta readers the next day. By Thursday, I had comments back and final edits done, and I submitted the story to Heidi — and if you saw my post earlier this week, you know the rest of the story! "Save {Point}" and nine other stories in the SVR-verse will be coming out in a few months, and Heidi is currently running a Kickstarter to help fund the launch. We've hit our base goal, but we're still hoping to get to the stretch goals, one of which is an audiobook of the anthology. If you haven't already, make sure you check out the Kickstarter and consider backing it!
  • As for Daughters of Atirse #2 . . . well, splitting my focus between two stories slowed me down a lot, as did grad school, stress, and the fact that I had stuff happening on the weekends a lot more this month than I did back in January. After a few too many days in which I just didn't have time to write more than a few hundred words, I dropped my goal down to writing 30,000 words and getting as close to the end of the story as I can. And I did achieve that, so . . . yay?
  • In all fairness, even if I'd gotten all the way to adding another 40K this month, the book still wouldn't quite be finished, so I have that as kind of a consolation.
  • Wrapping up this section with an update on the D&D campaign I run: the Travel Interlude still isn't done, but it's most of the way there. The next adventure hasn't been touched, but that can wait as well. I did, however, manage to improv my way through an extended in-character discussion of an aspect of my campaign world that I haven't reviewed in ages, which is something I definitely couldn't have done five years ago, so I'm kind of proud of myself for that.

Reading!

  • If nothing else, I can at least be pleased that this was an excellent reading month!
  • You've already heard about several of the highlights of April's reading: Dark & DawnCastle of the Winds, and The Erlking's Daughters were all some of my most highly-anticipated reads of the season (possibly of the year), and not one of them disappointed me. No Man Left Behind, the conclusion of W.R. Gingell's Worlds Behind series, was likewise delightful, and I think it wrapped up all the storylines and character arcs very well indeed. Tragically, it's hard to express just why I was so pleased with it without giving significant spoilers.
  • Aside from these, I spent most of the month in H.L. Burke's SVR universe. Early in the month, I reread Reunion, the final book in the Supervillain Rehabilitation Project series, in preparation for writing "Save {Point}." Then I jumped ahead to Power Up, the final book in the Supervillain Rescue Project series, and followed that up with Captured by a SupervillainEngaged to a Supervillain, and Accidentally a Supervillain. All four were excellent, but I think Power Up and Accidentally were probably my favorites from that group. And, conveniently, the ARC for Game On, the first book in Burke's new Supervillain Legacy Project YA series, hit my inbox just as I was finishing up Accidentally, so I've been reading (and very much enjoying) that. Watch for my full review a bit later in the month!
  • For anyone curious: my group reread of the DragonKeeper Chronicles is still happening, and I will be rereading DragonLight at some point. However, ARCs took priority, plus I've been waiting for other people to be ready to start. Hopefully I'll get to that in May.

 Watching & Playing!

  • Once again, not a lot to report in this section. I still haven't been watching much — no movies, very little YouTube, and only one show episode. I did get to introduce my parents and a friend to Leverage with another rewatch of "The Rashomon Job," so that was fun. That's the third time I've watched that episode, and it's still so good.
  • I did figure out an answer to my podcast app problem and ended up switching to Pocketcasts on a friend's recommendation. So far, aside from a slight hiccup in the beginning when I couldn't figure out how to find all my downloads, it's worked out pretty well for me. It has pretty much all the podcasts I wanted to try, and I like the interface (again, other than that tricky bit with the downloads) and the level of customization it offers.
  • As for what I've listened to on the app, that's mostly been Lateral, a trivia show hosted by Tom Scott, occasionally interrupted by a new episode of Dear Hank and John or a week or so of Wolf 359. I intended to listen to all of Season 3 of Wolf 359 this month, but . . . well, I'm at an intense, high-stress part of the story, and I just wasn't in the headspace for it. I wanted something lighter, and Lateral fit the bill. And, y'know, it is a really fun show; I have fun trying to figure out the answers alongside the participants. (Occasionally, I beat them to it, and that's very satisfying.)
  • On the gaming front, I'm still enjoying Honkai Star Rail, and it's still proving very effective motivation for getting my writing done without getting distracted (in addition to being almost as good a de-stressor as reading is). I've finished the second main quest line, and I really liked the ending in most respects! Now I'm running around trying to clear some side quests before continuing with the third world and quest line. At this point, I'm comfortable enough with the mechanics that I can actually think more about strategy and tactics and figuring out which characters work best with each other or will be most effective for certain missions — though those thoughts are constantly in tension with my desire to build a party that's narratively and thematically relevant and my desire to just use all the characters I like best or think are coolest. It's a problem, but a good one.

 Life!

  • As I said before, April was . . . frustrating. Don't get me wrong; there were some really lovely bits! Just most of it was, again, frustrating.
  • The vast majority of that frustration came from my grad school class. I mentioned in my March Doings post that the class seemed overly focused on one particular type of writing (journalism — and, to be clear, this was not described as a journalism class) and felt like it was calculated to hit on all my greatest frustrations (and some insecurities that I didn't know I had) while taunting me with how much of the material I already knew. Unfortunately, that has held true for the rest of the semester, and as a cherry on top, the class is structured around one big group project. I will say that my project group was a lot better than some others I've worked with, but even the best group is still a lot more stressful than doing something yourself. I will also say that, had the class been presented as a journalism class, or even described as focusing primarily on journalism, it would have been a lot less frustrating. As it was . . . well, it's the first time in my life that I've literally felt sick from stress (in the past, I've topped out at a twitchy eye and short temper), and I do not recommend the experience.
  • Aside from grad school, April was busy in other ways as well. The first weekend was actually pretty chill — my parents went out of town to visit my sister and see the eclipse, but I'm saving up leave for later in the year, so I had the house to myself for a few days. And while I prefer home with everyone in it, it's sometimes a nice change of pace to be able to listen to music without headphones, play D&D over dinner, and have an impromptu lunch-and-shopping adventure after church. (Well, technically, I could do the last one when other people are home . . . but if my family's here, I'd rather eat with them.) The weekend after was also comparatively calm, or I assume it was — I honestly don't really remember it, ha!
  • On the 20th, though, Realm Writers Mid-Atlantic (an author group I'm part of) had our yearly in-person meeting, and while I usually enjoy getting to see others face-to-face, that was stressful. That same weekend, I had a major grad school assignment due, I was finishing up my DOSA Files story, and I had two boxes full of books to prep for Heather Halverstadt and RWMA to sell at events, on top of normal weekend stuff. It was . . . a lot. I ended up being late for the meeting and missing lunch, and I don't function well on an empty stomach, so . . . not the best of times, y'know?
  • Last weekend, though, was a lot more fun, even if it was also tiring! My friend Wyn Estelle Owens came down to visit, which was delightful, and we went to the National Zoo together, which was even better. My family used to go to the National Zoo a lot — it's probably my favorite part thing in DC — but that kind of fell off sometime when my sister and I were in our teens. I loved getting to go back and revisit it, especially with a friend. I also rode the Metro for the first time in probably at least twelve or thirteen years, so that was an adventure. It was nice, though, as the train ride gave Wyn and I plenty of time to chat without having to worry about missing a turn in DC traffic. I will say that I was exhausted from all the walking by the end of Saturday, but it was definitely worth it.
  • Work, at least, was pretty chill. We spent most of the month in the post-Easter calm — between spring break and the fact that we're coming off a busy season, no one plans many events. The one exception was that our associate pastor announced that she was being transferred to a new church this summer. I'm sad that she's leaving, but not too stressed about it, as I know who's going to replacing her.
  • Unfortunately, with all the craziness that went on this month, I didn't really do any baking (aside from a grasshopper pie that, as of writing this post, I haven't tried yet), so I'll have to double-up on Baking Yesteryear recipes either this month or next month. I also don't have any particularly exciting news in the crafting department; I've mostly been making pieces for crochet plants because that's easy and practical (in that crochet plants make good gifts and good office decorations).
  • D&D has continued to be exciting! We had another ancient dragon fight, which almost went very badly due to an antagonist from the campaign's past (a former player character who got kidnapped and turned to the dark side) showing up unexpectedly with a bunch of shadow-monsters and causing so many problems. Also, we found out that, in the process of killing the dracholich that I mentioned back in my March Doings, we also kind of accidentally fixed an part of the world that's basically Moria with more undead, and I'm still not over it. Like, we found this out at the beginning of the month, and I still periodically pause and remember it and get excited. (For a little extra context, when we first learned about this region at the start of the campaign, I kind of wanted to try to fix it, but got the impression from the DM that it really wasn't the kind of thing that was fixable, so the problem dropped off my radar. And now . . . we've done it. By accident (by which I mean that it happened as an after-effect of the dracholich fight). And I just think that's delightful.)

May Plans

  • I have one week left of this grad school class. Thankfully, I think it'll be less stressful than the rest of the class has been. And once it's over, I have the rest of the summer off to focus on other things! Like, for example, writing.
  • I recognize that I've said this for the last two months, but I once again think I should be able to finish drafting Daughters of Atirse #2 this month. I'm not going to set a specific wordcount goal for the month, but I'm going to aim for somewhere in the vicinity of 1K or 1.2K per day until the story is done, and I think that should get me where I need to be.
  • I also need to finish the Travel Interlude and the next adventure in my D&D campaign, but I can take those pretty slow and still be ok.
  • Aside from Game On, I've more or less reached the end of my ARC pile, so I expect May will be mostly mood-reads and DragonLight. Though I do also have multiple sizable piles of library books, so hopefully my moods will include most of those. I also still need to reorganize my bookshelves, which might be a task for this weekend if all goes well.
  • As for work, we'll have a couple transitions this month (both with the associate pastor leaving and with some other procedures around the church changing), so we'll see how that goes. That said, I'm not too worried.
  • Overall, I'm hoping that May will be a much quieter and less stressful month than April . . . but as long as it's better than last May was, I won't complain.

How was your April? Any plans for May? If you play action-type RPGs, how do you usually build your parties? What are some books, games, or other media you've been enjoying lately? Please tell me in the comments! And don't forget to check out the DOSA Files Kickstarter!
Thanks for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.