Monday, October 8, 2012

Danger in the Tower Prologue

Hello, everyone! I'm here with the first of my recent writings that I'm going to be posting. So, I know that if you've been reading my few blog posts over the summer, you know a bit about my Camp NaNoWriMo novel, which I've named Danger in the Tower. While editing, I ended up having to completely rewrite the beginning of the novel. (I eventually ended up scrapping quite a bit of material.) In the revised edition, I have a poem at the beginning as a prologue. That's what I'm going to share with you today.


Hidden Secrets
Trees of silver,
Dust of gold,
Cover a heart
Of dirt and mold.
Sisters twelve
Trapped on high
In a tower reaching
To the sky.
Secrets kept
For darker plan;
Someone save us
But who can?
Names of power,
Names of trust,
Expose the dirt
Beneath the dust.
But when warnings fall
On deaf ears
And only one sees;
Only one hears,
Who will save us?
Who will come?
Bring us out
Beneath the sun?
One sets out
To save the day
While other heroes
Come our way.
But who can see
Beneath the dust
To the heart that’s made
Of mold and rust?
-Pansy of the Hidden Tower

If you're wondering what the "Pansy of the Hidden Tower" at the bottom means, I wrote it from the point of view of one of the characters of my story. I actually tried to make it seem like that character, Pansy, wrote the poem, and she references it a few times throughout the course of the novel. Pansy happens to be one of my favorites, partially because I originally based her somewhat on myself and partially because she's one of the most surprising characters.

Well, I hope you liked my poem! Thanks for stopping by!
- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.