Monday, July 14, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo: Rebel Month



Camp Stats at a Glance:
My goal: 40,000 words
Words written: 19,089 words
Projects completed: Almost two
Current writing music: My Celtic playlist (so Riverdance, Celtic Thunder, Capercaillie, and Celtic Spirit).

Last year, I did something different for July Camp NaNoWriMo: I worked on multiple projects throughout the month. I made the move out of necessity; it was the only way to do both Camp NaNoWriMo and the TPS Summer Creative Writing class. I never expected to repeat the experience. Then this summer rolled around, and I found myself in the middle of two projects (both of which desperately needed to be worked on) with many more in my head. I couldn't pick just one, so I decided to find a way to balance all of them.

And that's where I got my challenge for the month: four weeks, four projects, forty-thousand words.

For week one, I continued work on Destinies and Decisions, which I also worked on this past April and November. The week went splendiferously, since all the scenes I had to work on were really fun to write. There was one small problem near the end of the week when my characters weren't all cooperating, but I solved it with the help of some of my friends. (The fact that it's very hard to argue with a dragon also helped quite a bit. And then I got to scare a bard half out of his wits. It was very amusing.)

Week two, which I'm finishing up today, was Monster in the Castle. Yes, I've been working on it since April, and no, I haven't finished it yet. I think I'm getting close; I just keep getting distracted by Destinies and Decisions. Monster started out slightly less well than Destinies, mostly due to the fact that while I love Prince Hayden of Aldurna, he can be really boring to write sometimes. But once I brought in another character- one who very much gets on Hayden's nerves (he gets on everyone's nerves except mine, really), poof! Monster became fun too!

Tomorrow begins my third week of Camp NaNo, and I'm really excited for the projects I'll be working on: Goldstone Wood fanfiction. I have a bunch of ideas that have been in my head for ages but I haven't had time to write, so I'm sure it'll be super fun. I'm hoping that once Camp is over, I'll be able to edit some of the stories I wrote and enter them in the Goldstone Wood fanfiction contest. We'll see how that turns out.

Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo this year? What's your project? Please tell me in the comments!
Thanks for reading!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.