Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays: Book Characters I'd Want to Have on a Quest

http://www.brokeandbookish.com
Hello, everyone! I'm finally doing a Top Ten Tuesdays post again! This week's theme is Book Characters Who (blank). Since I get to fill in the blank, I decided to take inspiration from a Fantasy Reflections post in which I and other readers were challenged to create our own Fellowship of the Ring with nine fantasy characters from any fantasy books besides The Lord of the Rings. I had a lot of fun creating my questing group then, so I thought I'd do it again now! As a side note, this isn't a group for any particular quest, unlike the original Fantasy Reflections question.
  1. Leader/Guide: Aragorn (The Lord of the Rings). Aragorn proves himself to be an excellent leader throughout LOTR. He's experienced, brave, humble, and cares for those under him. I can think of very few characters better suited to leading a quest of any kind.
  2. Main Fighter/Backup Leader: Alastair Coldhollow (The Dark Sea Annals). As a former Wolfguard/assassin, Alastair is a highly skilled fighter. He's also an excellent tactician and pathfinder, meaning he could easily serve as a backup leader or guide if necessary. (Though we're going to hope it's not necessary.)
  3. Archer: Will Treaty (Ranger's Apprentice). He's a very good archer (maybe not the best archer in the fantasy world, but still very good), and his other Ranger skills, like tracking and invisible/silent movement would be very useful too. 
  4. Fighter/Scout/Spy/Entertainer: Bard Eanrin (The Tales of Goldstone Wood). Being a Faerie, bard, and a Knight of Farthestshore, Eanrin would no doubt be very helpful to have around for multiple reasons. And one cannot deny that Eanrin is pretty awesome. 
  5. Healer: Dame Imraldera (The Tales of Goldstone Wood). Someone needs to keep Eanrin in check, after all. Moreover, Imraldera is wise, brave, gentle, and a skilled healer. 
  6. Wizard: Kale Allerion (The DragonKeeper Chronicles). Kale's skills as a wizard, as well as her minor dragons, would be infinitely helpful on just about any quest. 
  7. Fighter: Bardon (The DragonKeeper Chronicles). If Kale's coming, Bardon's an obvious choice. They are married. And he is a knight, so . . .
  8. Fighter: Cruedwyn Creed (Legends of Karac Tor). Like several others on this list, Cruedwyn is an extremely skilled fighter. He's also quite funny . . . and yes, I admit it; I want to see what happens when you put him and Eanrin on the same team.
  9. Burglar/Spy: Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit). Because this company has a noticeable lack of hobbits on it. More seriously, Bilbo is loyal, naturally good at avoiding notice (as are most hobbits), and has a wealth of other (sometimes surprising) talents, and having a ring that makes you invisible (even if it is an evil ring) is quite useful as well. Plus, I like Bilbo.
  10. Fighter: Farix. (The Door Within.) Because he's a fascinating character, and he's so good he doesn't even need a weapon. And he's cool. Farix really doesn't get enough attention.
 And of course I'd want to come along as . . . I don't know. I'd find something to do. But I am coming. You'd have to send me home tied in a sack to stop me. (Unless Imraldera asked me to take care of the Haven and her library while she was gone. That I might be willing to skip the quest for.)

What would your ideal questing group be? Feel free to tell me in the comments, or make your own Top Ten Tuesdays post!
Thanks for reading!
-Sarah (Leilani Sunblade)    

4 comments:

  1. Love this, Sarah! So much fun. And it sounds like you've chosen an incredible group of questers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I don't know all of the characters, but I do know Aragorn, Bilbo, Kale and Bardon. I've read the Door Within trilogy, but I don't remember much about Farix. I'll have to re-read the series. The characters I remember best from that series are Nock, Mallick, and Kearn. They were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You definitely should reread The Door Within, as well as the other books I mentioned. And yeah, people seem to remember Nock and Mallick really well . . . everyone seems to forget Farix. Which is sad, because he's cool.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.