Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Reason: A Christmas Story Part Six


Hello, everyone! I’m back again, with more of The Reason: A Christmas story! Need a refresher from last time? Here’s part five. And now, part six!

Part Six
Angel sighed and looked around the small shack. Slowly, she walked around, gathering what meager belongings she thought that she and Kayla might need: the food that Lady Leslie had given her, their small stash of coins, and one last thing. That was Kayla’s worn and tattered copy of The Treasure. Angel hesitated as she picked it up.  Should I bring it? Kayla really should give up her fantasy of a Great King. Then she decided. I’ll take it. Kayla might want it for the comfort of something familiar. Kayla said that it was the only thing that she was able to keep when her parents were thrown in prison for debt. For some reason, Angel flipped through the pages. The little book fell open to a page near the middle, and Angel noticed that one passage had been circled. She read it aloud. “I waited for the Great King, and He heard my cry. He lifted me out of my trouble and despair; He set my feet on solid ground and gave me a firm place to stand. *” Angel suddenly felt ashamed. Maybe He is real. That is kind of what happened. She shook her head, startled at her thoughts. What am I thinking? It’s just a coincidence. That has to be it.
Tucking the things she had gathered into her basket, she walked out of the shack and towards Sir Connor’s house.
            The doctor arrived a few minutes before Angel did. He was immediately shown into Kayla’s room. As soon as Angel arrived, she asked “Can I see Kayla?”
            Dustin shook his head. “Nay. The doctor arrived a few minutes ago, and he cannot b’ disturbed. B’ patient, lass.”
            Angel frowned. “What? But she’s my best friend!”
            Dustin was about to answer when Lady Leslie entered the room. “Why was the doctor called?” she demanded. “Is someone hurt?”
            Dustin chose his words carefully. “Well, not exactly. I would not b’ sayin’ that anyone is hurt, but there’s a wee lass who seems t’ b’ quite ill.”
            Lady Leslie gasped. “What? She’s not contagious, is she? That would be just what I need, a quarantine during Yuletide.”
            Dustin frowned. Lady Leslie was beginning to annoy him. “Well, milady, the doctor will b’ tellin’ us that as soon as he knows.”
            Lady Leslie suddenly grew angry. “If my holiday is ruined because you brought some deathly ill and contagious street urchin into my home, then you will not be invited back! The idea! I do believe that you’re trying to ruin my enjoyment.”
            Dustin finally lost his composure. “Lady Leslie! Please! I believed yu t’ follow the Great King, but yu dinna seem t’ do that now. If yu do, please show some compassion! The lass whom the doctor is seein’ has next t’ nothin’! I just b’ tryin’ t’ help her!”
            Lady Leslie quailed. “Very well. I must go.” With that, she swept out of the room.
            Angel bit her lip. “Does she have a problem with Kayla and me?”
            Dustin sighed. “She just b’ gettin’ used t’ thinkin’ o’ others, and t’ the fact that yu exist. Yu’ll have t’ give her time.”
            Angel nodded, but inwardly she wondered How much time do I have to give her?  

What will happen to Kayla and Angel? Will Lady Leslie ever come around? You’ll have to wait until next time to find out. Thanks for reading!
-Sarah
---------
*Based on Psalm 40:1-2



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.