Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rosa Chapter Fourteen

Hi, everyone! Ready for more of Rosa? I hope so, because I’m posting Chapter Fourteen now! Need a refresher? Chapters Twelve and Thirteen are just a click away. And now, on with the tale!

Chapter Fourteen
Mandy busily mixed and kneaded the bread dough; intent on making what she hoped would be one of her best loaves. Carefully, she finished kneading it and laid a cloth over the top of the bowl. Glancing up, Mandy saw a tall, golden haired lady wearing a silver cape walking towards the castle. Hmm. thought Mandy, That’s odd. I don’t believe I’ve seen her before. I wonder why she isn’t riding a horse like most royalty. Suddenly, the lady turned and began walking towards the kitchen, instead of going to the big back gate. Mandy soon heard the sharp, urgent sound of knocking on the kitchen door. Wiping her hands on her apron, Mandy quickly walked over and opened the door. It creaked as it opened, and Mandy made a mental note to oil the hinges. However, all thoughts of oil vanished from Mandy’s mind when she saw the person at the door. Why, it’s the lady I saw walking up here! Dropping a curtsy, Mandy said “What may I do for you, milady?”  What does she want with me? Did she somehow miss the main gate?
            The lady looked at Mandy, and Mandy could see that the lady’s deep green eyes were filled with worry. “Are you Mandy?” the lady asked urgency evident in her voice.
            “Yes, milady.” Mandy answered.
            “I am Lady Clarellë.” the lady told Mandy. “I am afraid that Rosa is near death.”
            “What?” Mandy exclaimed. “How? Why? How do you know?”
            Lady Clarellë shook her head. “Rosa has been staying with us for several years, but there will be time for explanations later. You must come quickly!”
            Now it was Mandy’s turn to shake her head. “There’s someone else who needs to come.” she said, and hurried off to find Prince Owen.
            Prince Owen was sitting in his usual spot by the window. Suddenly, he heard a loud banging on his door. Is someone trying to knock the door down? He jumped up and hurried over, wondering who was disturbing him. He flung open the door to find Mandy, the cook who had told him the truth about Rosa, standing before him. “Your highness,” she said, breathlessly, “Rosa is near death. I thought I should-“
            Her words were cut off by Prince Owen’s exclamation of “Where is she? How did this happen?”
            “Come with me, please, your highness, and I’ll explain everything.” Mandy told him, turning to go.
            Prince Owen nodded, grabbed his cape, and followed close behind. 

What will happen next? Will Mandy and Prince Owen make it to the elves’ clearing? Will Rosa die? There’s only one way to find out: check back Thursday! In the meantime, please comment and tell me what you think! I’d love to know!
-Sarah
Update: Chapter Fifteen is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! But remember: it pays to be polite to dragons.